Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Witch's Piercing

(This post is a little late in coming as I don’t have the internet at the moment, Day one was Fri, 22nd )

My Witch’s Piercing.
    Never heard of it before? That’s cuz I’m a mutant and you dun has what I has! (mwhahaha!)

I have what is known as simple incomplete syndactyly which essentially means some of my toes are webbed together (the second and third ones to be exact) with a thick piece of tissue. As part of my final year of performance work I undertook a project to explore the body beautiful through my seemingly unbeautiful toes. I ended up with a small audience at Pink’s studio in Kent piercing through my toes and posing as beauty model for 20mins dripping blood everywhere with a needle suck in me. (Yey!)

I also ended up with a new shiney and after extensive research it appears that:
    1, I may be the first piercer in the Uk to have ever done this piercing, as there are only 8 other piercings ever recorded and they’re all from America or Australia.
    2, It doesn’t appear to have any defined name, people refer to it as an syndactyly piercing but syndactyly is a medical condition not a body part.
    3, There is no indepth information available on this piercing i.e. no healing time, no ‘standard’ jewellery, no recommendations etc

So I have taken the liberty of giving the piercing the nickname of ‘witch’s piercing’ after the idea that webbed feet used to get people accused of witchcraft way back in the day and have been researching and documenting my experience and other’s to produce a BME Wikipedia entry on the piercing.
    I intend to keep a diary here in order to keep track and contribute to the entry :P

Day one – The Actual Piercing:
    Jewellery
    After the measuring of the space between my toes with callipers (8.7mm) confirms that my original guess of an initial bar of 10 or 12mm was a good plan me and Pinks try to guess how much it’s likely to swell. After reliving some nasty toe breaking incidents and comparing a 12mm bar to the height of my toes I go for the 12mm Bioplast Labret just to be safe!

I went for 1.6mm gauge to avoid any cheese-wiring because while the tissue is thick it’s also quite soft! However I think that anything much more than 1.6mm would rub / sit too close to the knuckle bone on my toes.
    I chose to go with Bioplast because of the flexibility, so that the bar will move with my toes rather than against them when I walk. This could cause too much movement of the bar in the fistula but I personally felt this was better than the pressure likely to be cause by a rigid bar. I know that this is a controversial material and there are likely to be those out there that condemn my decision but having healed around bioplast before and used it on consenting clients I personally have seen no problems with it and find it quite beneficial.

I also went with Bioplast over PTFE because they produce a labret with a 4mm base which is smaller than ‘normal’, and I felt that would sit best in the small ‘cup-like’ space beneath my toes, where as a 4mm ball on a standard barbell would be likely to catch or add pressure when I walk.

The piercing itself
    I chose to pierce from the underside of my feet upwards because I wanted the labret end to sit precisely in the natural ‘cup’ my toes form in order to avoid / lessen any pressure on the piercing when I walk. The tissue is coarser than I expected on the underside and it did a fair amount of pressure to get the needle through (I pierce with blade needles, this one was 14G internal).

It is probably the most painful piercing I have had done thus far but its only a little above the time I had my navel repierced through thick scar tissue (bad plan I was ill informed) and you do go a little slower on yourself so out of 10 I’d say it’s a 7.
    The piercing did bleed quite a lot but I was waving it around for 20mins with a needle in it :P It was about the same amount of bleeding you may expect from an industrial but did need pressure.

Afterwards
    After the piercing I chose to wrap my toes in breathable gauze bandage and put on a clean sock beneath my other sock and shoe in order to keep out the bacteria I harbour in my Dr martens (chosen because they have a stiff over-the toe bit which doesn’t rest against my toes).

I could walk easily without a limp afterwards and before bed I used a large Tupperware pot to soak my piercing in a sea salt soak and removed the dried blood. I slept without it covered in order to let the piercing breathe :P

Many thanks to Pinks for lending me the use of her lovely pink studio and being a general cool cat about me bleeding all over her floor <.< Also a big thankies to Esther who was my photographer for the day hehe :p
    Last edited by kuku; 01-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Day 2.
    The swelling began late last night and needed some ibuprofen to keep things in check. There is still about 1mm space left on the bar and the majority of the swelling appears to be happening beneath the piercing on the underside of my toes. I soaked in chamomile tea and salt to relieve the aching feeling (it feels like I’ve stubbed my toes, the nails even hurt a bit!).

Limping a little today but found that wearing a small strip of padding under the arch of my foot made walking more comfortable and pretty normal when the ibuprofen kicked in. I am wearing clean socks inside slippers in the house as my bf’s student digs have pretty manky floors and I wear a clean strip of gauze bandage inside clean socks for wearing my DMs. If I’m sat still (on laptop) or in bed I am letting the piercing air.

Day 3 and 4
    Ow. The piercing is pretty sore, has had a few little bleeds and the swelling is much worse, there is a fingernail’s worth of space left on the bar when I woke up on day three. Chamomile tea salt soak first thing in the morning is orgasmic... I personally feel this is the best piercing I’ve have done just because SSS are just one nice big foot bath rather than a difficult / messy pita!

Regular doses of Ibuprofen and a long SSS has reduced the swelling to about the level of day 2’s but walking is much more sore. I particularly look like an idiot going down the stairs after having discovered that the edges of the steps are the perfect shape to catch the piercing! I’m essentially hobbling along like a cripple and can’t wait to get home to have a few days where I don’t have to walk anywhere!

Note the 'sack-like' swelling beneath my toes... :S

Day 5 and 6
    The great plan of going home where I don’t have to walk anywhere has been sabotaged by a busier than expected uni schedule and I’m a little concerned with the swelling. There is now no space on the bar and the top ball has begun to sink into my toes, so I’ve gone all out on the swelling nuke. I’ve started to apply Arnica gel to the swelling ‘sack’ (as I’ve aptly named it) beneath my toes and around the piercing (as its not suitable for broken skin so I’m avoiding using it on the piercing) after SSS with chamomile tea. I’m also taking regular doses of Arnica tablets alongside Ibuprofen and trying to sleep with my foot raised and it seems to be making a difference !

On the plus side there have been no more bleeds and the piercing is looking pretty happy apart from the swelling. Its still sore to walk on – especially first thing in the morning when the swelling is at it’s worse but its livable. The worse thing so far is the itching at night... just as I’m drifting off the sleep the piercing starts to itch – but tis not an itch I can scratch! Drives me a little nuts but I hoping it’s a sign of healing hehe.
    Last edited by kuku; 01-28-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Ooh, thats quite cool. And it's true, you has something that I doesn't :( lol

I really liked reading about that. It's really fascinating to see new and rare piercings. Hope all your healing goes swimmingly!
    call me:Tabby, Tab, Tabby-cat...Whatever you like!
    Current Piercings :
    First Holes 1.2mm | Second Holes 1mm | 1.2mm Helix | 1mm Nostril
    Piercing Wish List: Tongue, conch, nipple (x2), VCH
    Tattoos : Hidden pentacle on right hip and Zabi with flower on my left foot

Oh, that's awesome! Someone posted a link to a girl who'd had the same thing done a while ago and I thought it was really cool. Well done!
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

Thankies both for the well wishing !
    Last edited by kuku; 01-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.

That is really cool..
    Great idea for a piercing and its name..

loved reading that and congrats. hope the healing goes well and the swelling goes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambalina View Post
    "thats one fit pigeon"
    Michael
    Piercings
    Double Tragus, Septum
    Retired
    Central Labret, Surface piercing (on arm), Central Lip Ring, Double Tragus
    Want
    Lobes Stretched 8mm, Upper cartilage Piercings,MD's

lol i have a foot thobia and even i love it x saw ur wiki link two do u think peeps will be askin surgeons to stick there two together just so they can get that piercing?!? lol
    [CENTER]I have:
    left ear tragus
    Right hand ring finger micro dermal

Tattoo on my wrist completely white of a butterfly
    with vines
    Tattoo on lower back of a cross on a rose which
    i want lasered!
    Swallow and music notes very vibrant on bk of neck
    Retired :
    Navel piercing
    Micro dermal in hand on left
    Tongue
    Septum after 3 days to painful n not in far enough.

I

Congrats, very different!
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Question

1) How can i get a webbed toe ?

Thats so awesome i want one
    Current
    Lip
    Right Lobe 8mm
    Left Lobe 8mm
    Left Lobe 1.6mm
    Left Nipple
    Retired
    Tongue
    Scaffold x2