Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The invisible, gum friendly labret piercing

No, I did not invent something totally awesome
    I just wanted to know from people who have some experience with it - how invisible and comfortable can a labret piercing get? I have always liked it but never gotten one because of several reasons:

- Sensitive gums
    - Office Job
    - Husband dislikes it

Now, I know the flat back on the labrets is supposed to be quite gum friendly (sinks in?), but can you predict that there might be a problem? Or avoid it in some way, the gum problems I mean? I know some might say I would just have to see, but I don't want to end up with a pretty scar and I heard these don't fully close up anymore??
    I also know retainers are used for hiding labrets quite well, maybe good enough for work. But I know my husband would not want to see it all the time. Any super invisible retainers out there? I have found tiny things..but nothing that would really be "invisible". I'm hoping that someone might even know a trick.
    I have not seen something invisible enough yet for my husband not to notice. He is not too crazy about body piercings but usually likes the ones I have, or ends up liking them. He likes my nostril but like I said, I think a permanent labret would bug him. I know him pretty well and his taste. So I'm hesitant getting something he would dislike.
    Last but not least I am wondering about my anatomy, the area underneath my lip is not flat, it's deep and I had the thought a stud may not fit nicely? Also is there a way to prevent the stud from getting pushed out? I sometimes see it that when people laugh or move their mouth the stud goes in and out...I know the right fit helps but how about fishtail labrets for example? Do they fit well?
    Any personal experience would be appreciated, I'm having trouble finding specific answers.

Emi
    Last edited by Marumi; 10-05-2009 at 04:06 AM.
    ♥ є๓เ - 絵美 ♥
    Piercings: 6 lobes 14g, 18g, 18g | 1 Navel | 2 Nostrils l&r | 1 Helix | 1 Fwd Helix |1 Tragus | 1 Septum | 1 Medusa
    Retired: 1 Nape (lasted 2 1/2 yrs)

Your worrying yourself too much I think your gums will be alright. My lip has been pierced for about a year now, and I have never had any gum problems (e.g. gum recession). Lip piercing's close up fairly quickly, so it should close all the way but there may or may not be a miniscule scar, depending on the quality of the piercing and how well it's taken care of.

In regards to how well it will be hidden, honestly, it is not the most discreet thing in the world. I actually just recently got let go from a job for my piercings, which had retainers at the time, other than my ears. But keep in mind, that was at a fancy restaurant, so you will have to talk to your boss, and find out their policy on piercings. You and your husband will have to decide if it is discreet enough for him.

As far as anatomy goes, it seems to me if your lip is deeper, that could be easily remedied by a longer bar. Unfortunately, there is really no way to stop the bar from poking out, other than getting a shorter bar, but that shouldn't be done upon the initial healing process, as your lip will most likely swell, and you need room to accommodate swelling on the bar. If you get a shorter one upon healing, the back disc could embed into your lip(not good).

Don't let me scare you out of it with all of this, if you want it go for it, just keep in mind possible repercussions.

btw, are u from ny? If so, it's nice to see a fellow new yorker on here
    Currently Have:

Septum
    13mm Plugs
    Snakebites
    Bridge

Wishlist:

15mm plugs

How can I cipher such a malevolent being;
    I am certain of humanity's demise

Hey! Yeah I am from New York (LI), have not lived here for long though.

So maybe you could also recommend a good place to get pierced at (thats not all the way to the west?) I have been to Venus and Pure Body Arts and had some trouble, so I'm looking for another good place.

On the hiding thing, I browsed some labret jewelry and there is gems as tiny as 1-2mm, these would be as discreet as my nose stud, which has never bothered anyone. But you are right about the healing and the length, that would be more obvious. And, ask my nape piercing - I had enough embedding for a lifetime.. -_-

I will keep those things in mind, this is the piercing I have been thinking about for the longest and never done it.
    I don't think my job will approve but I will only stay for another 2 months, I'm afraid asking the new job about it though..
    ♥ є๓เ - 絵美 ♥
    Piercings: 6 lobes 14g, 18g, 18g | 1 Navel | 2 Nostrils l&r | 1 Helix | 1 Fwd Helix |1 Tragus | 1 Septum | 1 Medusa

i don't think you can get invisible retainers, you can always see them a bit. just tell your husband you like it so you are getting it! and as for your gums, mine started to wear away, even with a medilab stud, but since i got a ptfe one its been fine and you can trim it down as the swelling goes down, screw normal balls onto it, and take them off to use it as a retainer
    Have:
    8mm lobe, 1.6mm lobe, 2 x side lip, tongue, 2 wrist microdermals.

Retired:
    More lobes, helix, double tragus, anti tragus, conch, nipple, wrist surface, anti eyebrow microdermal, tongue web, vertical labret.

Tattoos:
    Just Atreyu lyrics on my side for now.

Want:

More tattoos, too uncreative to know what! Anti eyebrow microdermal, VCH, 10mm lobes, lots more ear piercings.

Quote Originally Posted by Marumi View Post
    - Sensitive gums
    Wear bioplast. I do.

- Office Job
    Me too. I wear a retainer. Not totally invisible but seems to do the job in my case.

- Husband dislikes it
    Not much you can do about that one. Either adopt the "screw it" attitude and get it done anyway, or give up on the idea

Current piercings: 7/16" lobes, 1.6mm lobes, tongue, labret, septum, navel, 2 x R helix, R tragus, 5mm dermal punched L helix
    Tattoos: tudor rose on stomach, cherry blossoms on shoulder blade
    Planned: daith, rook, conch, & more tattoos!
    Retired: 1.6mm helix, 4mm lobes, 1.6mm scaffold, 1.2mm monroe

Yeah it seems right now the fact that mys husband dislikes it could be the biggest problem.
    For Body Piercings I usually have that attitude, I dont even tell him about ears. But about face piercings I'm hesitant since I don't want him to think its ugly.

I had the idea to get a magnet stud so I can wear it for trial, maybe he likes it better than he thinks. Also its good for me to see if a stud reallt suits me. A ring looks great but a stud I never tried but it looks very good on others.
    ♥ є๓เ - 絵美 ♥

Senior Member x_pink_orchid_x89's Avatar

Bit off the subject but im hopefully getting my nose done this saturday.
    And after its healed i wana get a little stud for it.
    Whats the smallest gem you can get for nose, i thought 1.5mm...
    Ive had a look at nose screws on BJS but dont seem to be any plain silver small balls for nose.
    Im wanting to get madonna too so i want small gems on my face.
    Thanks.

Piercings (14):
    R Ear= 3 Lobes, Conch (1.6) and Helix x2 (1.2)
    L Ear= 3 Lobes, Rook (1.6), Tragus (1.2) and helix (1.2)

Nipple (1.6)
    Belly (1.6)

Want:
    Nose
    2 Dermal Anchors (Nape)
    Tongue
    VCH
    4th lobes?
    Reversed navel?
    Madonna?

Tattoos :

None

I don't have sensitive gums, but I've had my labret pierced in the center for about 6 years now and haven't had any issues with my gums at all.
    As far as I know there would be no way of predicting whether or not you would have problems (could be wrong?) but I've seen people who have taken theirs out and it's impossible to notice the scar, especially if you're a girlie and wear make up

As for your husband, I'm pretty much in the same boat with my boyfriend, he tells me I have a 'thing' in my head that 'makes me think ugly things are pretty.'
    But he does come round in the end, I asked him the other day how he would feel if I took my labret out, I felt like it was maybe time for a change. I thought he'd be pleased, but he told me he didn't want me to!

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit, I don't know if any of it was in any way helpful

Quote Originally Posted by x_pink_orchid_x89 View Post
    Bit off the subject but im hopefully getting my nose done this saturday.
    And after its healed i wana get a little stud for it.
    Whats the smallest gem you can get for nose, i thought 1.5mm...
    Ive had a look at nose screws on BJS but dont seem to be any plain silver small balls for nose.
    Im wanting to get madonna too so i want small gems on my face.
    Thanks.
    Qulaity piercings have gems that are as small as 1.2mm but at the mall I have seen some that are even tinier...you have to be careful they don't slip through the hole though. Mine didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketmouse View Post
    I don't have sensitive gums, but I've had my labret pierced in the center for about 6 years now and haven't had any issues with my gums at all.
    As far as I know there would be no way of predicting whether or not you would have problems (could be wrong?) but I've seen people who have taken theirs out and it's impossible to notice the scar, especially if you're a girlie and wear make up

As for your husband, I'm pretty much in the same boat with my boyfriend, he tells me I have a 'thing' in my head that 'makes me think ugly things are pretty.'
    But he does come round in the end, I asked him the other day how he would feel if I took my labret out, I felt like it was maybe time for a change. I thought he'd be pleased, but he told me he didn't want me to!

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit, I don't know if any of it was in any way helpful
    Hm...well I'm girly but don't wear make up...also would not want to try any paste on my face to cover up a hole. I guess I would be fine with a little scar, if the hole was too big I could get it lasered to close it at least.

What you describe about your boyfriend sounds much like my husband. I know we have the same taste, but he does not seem to know it and I need to show him what he likes. I think guys don't like what they are used to to change, but once they notice its a good change they like it.

______

I came back to this thread because after thinking about it a bit longer I think I will go for a center labret in the future. I notice center is not that popular at the moment and even heard girls say it's not a feminine piercing. But I think center would suit me best, especially when I switch to a ring.

As far a my husband goes - I will just tell him I am planning to get it, not "ask". And show him a few nice examples...tiny gem jewelry and make it clear to him that it can be concealed with aretainer once hidden. (I actually held my 14g glass plug to my lower lip and it belds in perfectly, also I might be able to get a retainer custom made for the labret...small, skin colored glass, tiny thin flare.
    I also know of some people that take the top off their bioplast labret once healed and basically have a hole there only...

What I also need to know though is - as far as sexual things go and kissing...how long do I have to expect to be restricted? I read everything from 2 weeks to 2 mths and am really confused now.

Also - will a labret stud get in the way while kissing? I can imagine it will be "sucked" on sort of during kissing...and I wonder if my husband would be annoyed by that.
    And last but not least - can you get pierced with a retainer? I wonder because of my job.
    ♥ є๓เ - 絵美 ♥

I think guys don't like what they are used to to change, but once they notice its a good change they like it.
    Yes, that is what my boyfriend's like! He resisted my microdermal loads, but now it's here he admits that he likes it, lol, when will he accept that I know best?

I don't think my labret gets in the way of kissing, but then I wear a little 1.2 bar in it (which also looks more feminine I think - also I know 2 other girls with center labrets and it suits both of them well) which is quite small which probably helps. I haven't ever kissed someone with their lip pierced, so I couldn't say for sure.

As for healing, I remember mine being ever so quick, I was eating normally the same day, and after about a week if felt fine, but then I was single at the time, so there was no kissing for me then hehe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast