Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is Hydrogen Peroxide bad for piercings?

Alright, so I know that it's never recommended to use cause it's too harsh and dries out the skin (I think) but it's used on cuts so what's the difference?
    Isn't a piercing like an open wound?

Just a thought I had, never really looked into it.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Using hydrogen peroxide on a cut isn't the best of ideas, either. It's actually usually advised to just flush them out with water. The use of hydrogen peroxide used to be very common but it's getting less so nowadays as I don't think there's much proof as to how effective it actually is for any wound. The harshness and drying action still applies to both piercings and normal cuts.

Google 'hydrogen peroxide on wounds' or something, plenty of articles advising against.

Hydrogen Peroxide – When we cut ourselves, our bodies tell red blood cells to rush to the scene of the crime and shoot high powered laser beams of healing called lymphocytes at the evil invaders. To protect oursevles from killing our own in the fury of battle, our cells cover themsevles with a little something called catalase. Our bodies also release the viscious H202 (hydrogen peroxide naturally occurs in the human body) which heedlessly kills cells left and right, or at least those not protected with catalase. Sometimes bacteria come prepared with their own catalase and our body is unable to overwhelm them, so we take a bottle of commercially available hydrogen peroxide and dump it on the wound. This works awesome at killing everything, but it’s kind of like dropping a bomb; it doesn’t really care what it kills as long as everything dies. That being said, you shouldn’t use hydrogen peroxide because it kills both bacteria and our own cells. Why did I need that long analogy to make my point? Because I’m bored and it was just too much fun to write.

That, and even on cuts it isn't for prolonged use. (and a bit of saline does a much better job)
    Complete with a green straightjacket with circuit boards stuck all over!

Current: 1" lobes, 4g conches, septum, 6g helix, daithy- helix, helix industrial, bridge, 8g both nostrils, one lonely nipple and both cheeks, vert labret an a sternum micro. Forearm branding, calf cutting and a split tongue.
    Retired: Nape, neck and chest micros, nipple, 4g tongue, eyebrow, snakebites. Several lobes, labrets and nostrils. Rook ):
    Next up: moar leg!

And no tattoos D:

tumblr

^^ photoshop?

Tacos, the amount of wrecked, red-raw burnt looking skin i've seen on piercees is an alarm-bell you cannot ignore.

I used to see it a lot in the 90's, navels that were angry & rejecting because people had been told by an idiot studio in Leeds (some of you will definitely know who I mean) to 'care' for their piercings with HP.

Dont do it.
    Really, dont.
    AkA RoOf/Ruth/Roofy/Ruthy/Root & erm...that is all
    Its all Chaos & Corsets
    ★"If Carlsberg made eBayers........she would be the best eBayer in the WORLD!"★

Actually when I was 8 (long before the world of piercing ever existed in my mind...) I got my toe caught under a door, which made it bleed right round the nail and along a cut just across my cuticle, it was really a nasty sight. That day I was due to go to the beach with my nan and my cousins. I went along cause I had to. By the end of the day the cut had healed up so much it looked a few days old and was tonnes better. Even in the sea, which is full of other yuckiness like fish and pollution, with too much salt it did my wound pretty well XD
    25mm Lobe x2, 10mm Helix, 8mm Septum, 8mm Conch, 4mm Conch
    4mm Tragus, 3.2mm Tragus, 2.4mm Scaffold, 2.4mm Lip x5, 2.4mm Vertical Nipple, 2mm Cheeks
    1.6mm Nostrils, Helix, Daith, Bridge, Navel, Rook, Snug

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    ^^ photoshop?

Tacos, the amount of wrecked, red-raw burnt looking skin i've seen on piercees is an alarm-bell you cannot ignore.

I used to see it a lot in the 90's, navels that were angry & rejecting because people had been told by an idiot studio in Leeds (some of you will definitely know who I mean) to 'care' for their piercings with HP.

Dont do it.
    Really, dont.
    Ooh I think you misunderstood, I wasn't planning on doing so at all, I just wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlu View Post
    Actually when I was 8 (long before the world of piercing ever existed in my mind...) I got my toe caught under a door, which made it bleed right round the nail and along a cut just across my cuticle, it was really a nasty sight. That day I was due to go to the beach with my nan and my cousins. I went along cause I had to. By the end of the day the cut had healed up so much it looked a few days old and was tonnes better. Even in the sea, which is full of other yuckiness like fish and pollution, with too much salt it did my wound pretty well XD
    Yikes, this sounds like what I experienced last night with your toe!
    That's how mine is currently, but I've wrapped a band-aid around it with neosporin to clean, after rinsing with water.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.

I don't even use it for cuts... IMO anything that makes a cut/piercing/any other type of wound sting when it's applied probably shouldn't be used. When I was about 10 and was trying to get my gunned lobe piercings to heal I used peroxide on them all the time... They never, ever healed and were constantly super irritated. Even thinking about that now makes me cringe.. ouch! Also, another reason that it's even worse for piercings than cuts/skin abrasions could be that piercings are puncture wounds and need to be treated a little differently.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

^^^go away spam-merchant. (THIS WAS AIMED AT A SPAMMER WHO'S POSTS WERE DELETED )

but back to people who can think up a sentence of their own...
    Quote Originally Posted by tacosareyummeh View Post
    Ooh I think you misunderstood, I wasn't planning on doing so at all, I just wondered.

Yikes, this sounds like what I experienced last night with your toe!
    That's how mine is currently, but I've wrapped a band-aid around it with neosporin to clean, after rinsing with water.
    haha, sorry taco's, my wagging finger came out before I could stop it XD
    No, it was a comment aimed at anyone who might be considering using it on piercings
    Just say no! *wag wag*
    Last edited by Super Penny Bizarre; 09-15-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    AkA RoOf/Ruth/Roofy/Ruthy/Root & erm...that is all
    Its all Chaos & Corsets
    ★"If Carlsberg made eBayers........she would be the best eBayer in the WORLD!"★

Ooh that's alright.
    I can't imagine using that stuff on piercings though, yikes.
    Current

Also, hydrogen peroxide says to not be used on puncture wounds, which is what a piercing is. :P
    I've researched it a bit, and have read many things on how when the peroxide gets inside the piercing, it will cause the piercing to reject because the way the peroxide flushes things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast