Question Vertical nape piercings and custom body jewllery?

I'm super interested in getting my nape pierced some time in the near future, I would really like to get it done vertically as I have this mental image in my head of what I would like it to look like but I'm stuggling to find much info on them. I've spoken to my piercer but I'd like to know what you guys think about them and if anyone has it done I'd love to know your experiences with it.

I'm also looking for somewhere that custom makes jewllery, I would like to get a ring in my nape piercing in the end but I know a usual BCR wouldn't heal right and would probably grow out in the end but I have an idea involving modifying a curved bar I'm pretty sure would work fine -if- I can find someone to make it. Failing that does anyone know how well D-Ring's do in the nape?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Imkihca; 08-10-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Currrent Body Modifications:-

Piercings:
    Lower lip x 2 (One on each side)
    Navel x 3 (One upper, two lower)
    Nipples x 2
    More to come.

Tattoos:
    Bird on right hip
    Butterfly on right wrist
    Tribal bird foot on sole of right foot (On it's way out)
    More to come.

Other:
    None... Yet.

Surface barbells should be the only jewellery used in a surface piercing. The staple shaped bit on a D-ring most likely wouldn't be big enough, and the ones I've had have still been kinda rounded - not comparable to a surface bar really. And will have a bigger chance of getting things caught on it.

Vertical nape piercings also won't be a good idea for most people...get a friend to draw dots on your neck and watch (or position a mirror/film it so you can see) as you move your neck up and down...most people will have lots more movement than with a normal nape piercing. If you definitely want it vertical I'd get 2 microdermals or skin divers instead and forget about the ring idea. I mean, you could put dimpled balls on the microdermals and clip CBRs to them if you want to but that's really for short-term wear as the chances of them getting caught are much higher, and even just the slight extra weight could irritate them. I'm guessing that's not the look you want anyway.

Vertical nape and a ring (or modified jewellery - anything that sticks out) just says 'quick rejection' to me, heh.

I had two microdermals in the placement of a vertical nape. The lower one rejected after a year because it got caught on my clothing, but the higher one is still going strong.

I imagine that a vertical nape surface piercing would be highly prone to rejection because it will twist every time you turn your head...

I've tried pinching the skin where I want it and it doesn't move that much unless I really tilt my head down, I'll try as Katexx suggested and draw some dots on and see how that goes. I want it quite low down on the back of my neck, almost more my back as I also want to get a small tattoo above it.

The ring would just be an occasional thing but I'd still love to try and find some way to do it. The dimpled balls on the microdermals is similar to what I had in mind only problem with that is I have no idea where I could get microdermals in my area (Or I'd already have two on my lower back!) if you know of any places in Wiltshire that does it that would be great to know!

I would rather have it vertical but worst comes to worst I'll settle for horizontal, it's something I've wanted for quite a whlie. :P

Thanks for the input!
    Currrent Body Modifications:-

Piercings:
    Lower lip x 2 (One on each side)
    Navel x 3 (One upper, two lower)
    Nipples x 2
    More to come.

Tattoos:
    Bird on right hip
    Butterfly on right wrist
    Tribal bird foot on sole of right foot (On it's way out)
    More to come.

Other:
    None... Yet.