Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lip stud embedding

The back of my newly pierced lip is sort of embedding in the back of my lip.

However, I read this -

When the lip is pierced the membrane of thin skin inside the mouth is cut, this skin can then move back over the labret stud. Eventually this skin will die off and a depression will form where the stud sits, this can take weeks though and in the meantime the back of the stud can become embedded in the wound. Don't be alarmed if this happens, this is quite common but in time the wound will settle down.

- on the BME site.

I just wanted to know if it's completely true...it's not that bad, but I was a little concerned as my other labret didn't do anything like it.

Thanks in advance
    Dylan Pearl Hart

Body Mods-
    Current: Labret- center and right side, navel, tongue and septum, 1 tattoo on lower back

Retired: Scaffolding, Sternum/Cleavage surface piercing, and 5 ear piericngs, left side labret

Future plans: Medusa, nape, and possibly cleavage again.

"Romance is for teenagers and immigrants!" -Marge Simpson

The disc of the L.Stud will sink in & the flesh will come up to be level with the back of the disc if you get my meaning. This is normal. As long as the skin doesn't grow over the disc or anything it should be fine.

This is exactly what is happening to my new Labret.
    The disk is sinking, but is leveled with the skin.
    Should we just leave it to sort itself out or is there any way we can help it heal?

You will get a mark on your lip inside where you labret sits but if it is serisouly embedding then I would get it changed to a longer bar , also remember that it can tak a week or so for swelling to go down so once you know the swelling is gone check and see if the embedding is as bad :
    Piercings
    Left ear:12 including scaffold,tragus,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Right ear:12 including rook,conch x 3 & 14mm lobes
    Eyebrow
    3 x right nostril
    3x left nostril
    Left Nipple Vertical x 2
    Right Nipple Horizontal x 2
    Navel x 3
    2 facial skin divers
    Vch
    Piercer and Tattooist

Quote Originally Posted by Haqu View Post
    Should we just leave it to sort itself out or is there any way we can help it heal?
    That sounds normal but if it gets worse, then go to your piercer & have the stud changed for a longer one like Vix said. It'll be fine when it heals. Good luck with it.

~Sorry if I'm hyjacking this thread but I've been slightly worried about this myself, I got snakebites three days ago and - as an avid lurker of the forums here - I was aware that it would swell and there could be a danger of the labret studs embedding. Now my lip's swollen and they're pressing into the back of my lip - not uncomfortably - and there's a small ring of skin around the edge of the labrets, should I be worried about them starting to embed and go back to get longer bars or should I just wait for the swelling to go down?

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy View Post
    ~Sorry if I'm hyjacking this thread but I've been slightly worried about this myself, I got snakebites three days ago and - as an avid lurker of the forums here - I was aware that it would swell and there could be a danger of the labret studs embedding. Now my lip's swollen and they're pressing into the back of my lip - not uncomfortably - and there's a small ring of skin around the edge of the labrets, should I be worried about them starting to embed and go back to get longer bars or should I just wait for the swelling to go down?
    They always make a little dint to sit in, its called nesting, if you find the skin is completelly growing over the plate then worry, until then its fine. As long as some spare on bar its fine.

My labret actually sits inside a pocket where the back is nearly fully covered, but its not embredded in the slightest.
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched and Scarified

~Thanls! Yea, it's like you said. I'm just being paranoid because of the stories of them embedding and all lol. Thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by Haqu View Post
    In your picture the disk looks likes its almost covered by skin so I don't think yours is normal nesting, which is why I advised getting a longer bar!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

It's been about 8 years now, but I recall that mine did this a little bit. Had a circle shaped dent in the back of my lip for a while. Eventually, it flattened back out.

Mine never grew over the disc though. If that's happening your bar is definitely too short. I ran mine long for a little longer than suggested by the piercer for that reason. Once the indent went away, I had it shortened. I was itching to get the short one too, the long one was bothering my gums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast