Unhappy Tongue barbell causing a big indentation

My tongue piercing is 4 weeks old. I have worked my way down from the longest (piercing) bar, to the regular size (or, at least, that's what I was informed was the "normal" length). All of the ball sizes have been consistent with each other. I have only changed bar lengths when the old one was sticking way too far out and began getting in my way.

Here's my problem: the top ball has formed a deep cup in the surface of my tongue that will NOT go away. When I wake up in the morning, the top ball is down far enough into this depression that my tongue surface kind of surrounds it, and I have to pop it back through, which HURTS! Meanwhile, I've got a good amount of bar length sticking out the bottom, so I assume I'm not dealing with a bar that's too short.

Is this normal? I hate it. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated!
    Also, I can supply pics if needed.

Get larger balls if its embedding. Its normal for it to make a dint but not normal for it to be painful. Minimum of 4mm balls, pref 5mm balls. My current bar has 6mm balls (its a thicker bar than standard tongue piercing) and they arent too bad.
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched and Scarified

Will wearing a larger ball allow that dent to heal closed, or is a larger ball going to just make a larger dent?

Quote Originally Posted by GrimGracey View Post
    Will wearing a larger ball allow that dent to heal closed, or is a larger ball going to just make a larger dent?
    lets give you an example here, if you have a pin and a mug on a table, if you appy the same force to a pin and the same force to a mug, the pin will start to sink into the table because the pressure is focused on a very small area, a mug or something larger distributes that pressure over a larger area and hence doesnt dig in.

A larger ball will not sink in as it distributes the pressure over a larger area.
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched and Scarified

Quote Originally Posted by TheArctopus View Post
    lets give you an example here, if you have a pin and a mug on a table, if you appy the same force to a pin and the same force to a mug, the pin will start to sink into the table because the pressure is focused on a very small area, a mug or something larger distributes that pressure over a larger area and hence doesnt dig in.

A larger ball will not sink in as it distributes the pressure over a larger area.
    Ah, now I see... Thanks! I've been worried about this for days! Now off to buy larger balls!

Yeah, when I got mine changed down I was worried about the pulling and tearing so I had 6mm balls put in, and they're awesome, they also stop the bar moving around as much and make it considerably more comfortable, i have a little dip in the top of my tongue, but nothing close to what you've described, good luck! :-D
    -X- 2 Stretched Lobes (5mm left, 4mm right) -X- 5 Normal Lobes ( 2 x left, 3 x right) -X- Right Tragus -X- Tongue -X- Left Nostril -X- Right Rook -X- Left Forward Pinna -X- Right Snug -X- Left Conch -X-
    Right-shoulder Tattoo.
    Wishlist:

Lots and lots and lots!
    Retired:
    Left lobe.

"
    Reality is nothing more than a collective hunch." - Unknown

A small dip is normal for metal balls, the bigger the balls are the better though.