Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Rook piercings, great or bothersome?

Hi everyone!
    I just discovered this web site, it's awesome, hopefully I can get some advice here too.
    I'm a virgin when it comes to piercings, but lately I've really desired one. After thinking it over, I'm really keen on getting a ROOK piercing. Do you guys have any comments on this type of piercing?

I'm curious as to how long the pain will last, and if it disrupts your daily routine. Also, how long can you take out your earring without having your rook hole closed up?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight, and sorry if someone has posted about this before, I couldn't find it!

Thanks!

Rook piercings are fantastic, I have never had one (yet) but i know alot about ear piercings and they all tend to be the same. In my opinion a ring looks better in the rook but bars always heal quicker. I wouldn't say it will affect your daily routine, it will irritate the piercing if soap gets onto the piercing or if you bang it. I recormend you have the piercing done on the side you don't sleep on. I can't say about the pain but i can't imagine it will be any worse than having a tragus, conch, diath and forward helix pierced (which i have had). As for taking it out i don't think you would get it back in, not straight away anyways. If you have work or school plastic reatiners are available but ear piercings tend to heal up pretty fast. Gd look in having it pierced!!

Hello, welcome!

Donít let anything I say put you off, I think rook piercings are excellent and highly recommend you get one if thatís what you want!

Here are some thoughts though:

Rook piercings are a bit like surface piercings really and it might eventually grow out, but not as quick as eyebrow piercings usually grow out though. Iíve had mine about three years and as yet, there is no sign of it migrating.

They are one of the more temperamental ear piercings, partly because they are a bit like a surface piercing, but also because of their location on a relatively inflexible part of your ear Ė meaning that they easily flare-up if knocked.

The twice a day cleaning with warm sea salt water will disrupt your daily routine a bit I suppose and as piercedboy15 says, you really want to avoid sleeping on it if you can.

Even after three years, mine will occasional flare up and Iíll have to give it a bit of extra attention with some saline, but most the time it just sits there minding itís own business.

Obviously a rook piercing is totally visible, but it is fairly discrete. I have a snug fitting plain bar in mine and itís quite nice when someone I know spots it for the first time. He hee.

Itís not really the sort of piercing you want to be taking the jewellery in and out of regularly. It really wonít like being constantly aggravated and besides, because of its location, I find removing the jewellery by myself almost impossible. Iíve never left the bar out of mine, but I doubt if it would ever get to the stage where you could take the jewellery out and the hole not close-up after a few days.

As for pain. The initial piercing only lasts a split second (so why worry) after that mine sort of throbbed for a few days and there was a bit of a dull pain occasionally, but really nothing to worry about.

Definitely whatever you do, get it pierced with a bar, itíll heal much better than with a ring in it and in my opinion, will look better!

Sorry, thatís a bit of a random stream of consciousness! But basically if you donít under or OVER clean it or knock it/aggravate it too much, itíll be fine.
    10mm PA, 5mm septum, baby rook, loads retired | *gold star*

Sweet, thanks guys. People are pretty helpful on this site, I can tell.
    After giving it some consideration, and actually considering the two previous posts, I'm leaning more and more toward it! Piercedboy mentioned having retainers? I'll probably end up keeping my piercing in the whole time, but if I had to take to take it out, a retainer would keep my piercing open right? (Hence the term "retainer").

And oh yeah, does anyone know a website that would have shop listings for places that pierce your ears (for each city)? Or should I just check with people I know, and the phone book?

Thanks!
    (I'm getting kind of excited..)

Reatiners are clear tubes which sit in the piercing and obvioulsly keep them open!!
    If i was you i would go to a number of different piercers and ask them advice about the piercing! Ask them questions even you know the answer to just to get a feel for the place and the staff that work there. I wouldn't take the first place you come to and just think yey i'm getting it done, and then if fucks up. Just take your time in deciding!!
    Gd look and put some pics up when you've had it done.

Senior Member .Only.Streetlights.'s Avatar

Retainers are an option when it is healed, but as said before it's a bit of a temperamental piercing so you really don't want to be swopping the jewellery out all the time to try and hide it.
    Also, most retainers available are made of acrylic which you shouldnt really wear for more than 8 hours at a time with a 24hour gap in between uses. If you are going to need to hide it, I would consider using PTFE or Bioplast instead and then changing the balls for clear ones, or using clear O rings. It would allow you to avoid dragging the jewellery through it again and again and you could just change the ends when it suited you.
    Good luck with it
    Queen C aka Cazaclysmic

ďI contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.Ē -Stephen Roberts

Default :)

i'm 16 and had my rook piercing done two days ago and its been no problems to my daily routine at all. i had no problems whatsoever sleeping on it either. it hurt a little bit when they clamped it and the needle went through but its only painful for about 30 seconds. its not painful at all now, only if i hug someone and their head squeezes on my ear! I just clean it with some savlon liquid form stuff which the piercing shop gave me for aftercare.

ive read in a few places though that some people get lumps on their cartilidge after they've had it pierced. i dont know how far into the piercing that actually happens but none have appeared on mine yet.

i would really recommend having it done it looks really good and its been no problems at alll, its well worth the minor bit of pain you have to go through!

lucy x

Mine bloody hurt and had a bump on it for the first nine months.
    Piercings
    Left Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Lobe 1.6mm X1
    Right Ear; Lobe 22mm, Lobe 4mm, Rook 1.6mm, Conch 1.2mm
    Facial; Septum 1.2mm, Left Nostril 1.2mm, Central Labret 1.2mm
    Oral; Tongue 5mm
    Body; Right Nipple 1.6mm, Nape MD, Standard Navel 1.6mm

@Lucyjade.

^ha snap! Except I've avoided sleeping on it, it wasnt painful it felt really warm though, awesome. A little throbby in the cold wind but that was it.
    Ears;
    Tragus (l), Double Helix (l), Rook (r), Conch to conch Industrial (r), Daith (l), Snug (l) lobes (l@2.4mm r@0mm).
    Body;
    Navel.(2mm)
    Hoping for;
    Septum, snug (L), antitragus (R), more lobes, forward helix(L), horizontal industrial (hopefully, R). Double tongue, Inverse navel, collarbone MD's, 6mm/8mm lobes, horizontal nipples, VCH/Triangle
    (if i ever get brave enough.)

Retired;
    Lobes (l&r) second time up.

Default The rook

i got my rook pierced about, a week or so ago & i absolutly love it. when i got it done it did hurt abit but it is totally worth it. i have learned to try not to sleep on it but, it is ok if you do sleep onit.
    & in my opinion i also thing a ring looks alot better, and that is what i got mine pierced with(:
    if you like it go for it. the pain onlyu last about a minuet or less and isnt even that bad
    I.LOVE.MINE <3

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast