Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen nipple

Default Swollen nipple

Hello I'm new to the forums here, and not starting off on a high note..

I have both my nipples pierced, for a few months now.. I've had no problems with them.. until now

I just got home today, and noticed my right nipple was quite sore.. Especially when I touched it.. Though I didn't think anything off it..

I wanted to give my BCR's a quick clean, there was a bit of crust round them, so I took my left one out no problem, then I looked at my right one and noticed it was very swollen, nearly half of the ring was in my nipple.. and I struggled with getting the ball off.. which I normally have no problem..

Eventully I got it off, and while I was washing my BCR's, I stuck in my spare barbells I have, jus while I was washing my rings. My left one was no problem, but my right.. I got the barbell in one side of my nipple, but it never came out the other end.. Even if I put a bit of force on it, there was no sight of the bar coming out the other end..

The bars are quite small yes.. but they always fitted perfectly everytime before..

I haven't done anything that I know off that.. Could cause this swelling, my right nipple is like.. Hard but not, like a cold day hard sorta thing, it actually feels like theres a lump in my nipple.. And it has been pussing a hell off alot..

So yea, if anyone has any information or has experienced the same thing, please gimme some advice or pointers..

And sorry if this has been discussed 20 times already..

Loafer

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    Hello I'm new to the forums here, and not starting off on a high note..

I have both my nipples pierced, for a few months now.. I've had no problems with them.. until now

I just got home today, and noticed my right nipple was quite sore.. Especially when I touched it.. Though I didn't think anything off it..

I wanted to give my BCR's a quick clean, there was a bit of crust round them, so I took my left one out no problem, then I looked at my right one and noticed it was very swollen, nearly half of the ring was in my nipple.. and I struggled with getting the ball off.. which I normally have no problem..

Eventully I got it off, and while I was washing my BCR's, I stuck in my spare barbells I have, jus while I was washing my rings. My left one was no problem, but my right.. I got the barbell in one side of my nipple, but it never came out the other end.. Even if I put a bit of force on it, there was no sight of the bar coming out the other end..

The bars are quite small yes.. but they always fitted perfectly everytime before..

I haven't done anything that I know off that.. Could cause this swelling, my right nipple is like.. Hard but not, like a cold day hard sorta thing, it actually feels like theres a lump in my nipple.. And it has been pussing a hell off alot..

So yea, if anyone has any information or has experienced the same thing, please gimme some advice or pointers..

And sorry if this has been discussed 20 times already..

Loafer
    More detail

what colour is the puss, if its white/light yelow is just lymph which means its healing, if its dark green/browny you may have an infection. what colour is the puss? what does it smell like?

The lump you can feel could just be scar tissue or the fistula.

The jewellery

okay for a start, if they are only a few months old you shouldnt be swapping jewellery about, nipples take a year or more to heal.

2ndly, BCR's are a bad idea to be wearing in a healing piercings, not only do they flap about causing irritation they drag lymph into the piercing damaging the newly formed fistula (the skin that lines the piercing) they also put excess pressure on the piercing forcing it to curve.

Advice: Take some ibuprofen, ice your nipples 5 mins, 4 times a day etc to get the swelling down, then get to your piercer and have them swap out the BCR's for a barbell which is long enough to accomodate the swelling.

Continue to do 2 Sea Salt Soaks twice a day.
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched and Scarified

Quote Originally Posted by TheArctopus View Post
    More detail

what colour is the puss, if its white/light yelow is just lymph which means its healing, if its dark green/browny you may have an infection. what colour is the puss? what does it smell like?

The lump you can feel could just be scar tissue or the fistula.
    Yes it was kind of, whitey yellow kind of puss, the slightest bit red.. maybe a drop of blood.. Sorry I didn't smell it or anything, was a bit more worried about it actually being there ya know..

Quote Originally Posted by TheArctopus View Post
    The jewellery

okay for a start, if they are only a few months old you shouldnt be swapping jewellery about, nipples take a year or more to heal.

2ndly, BCR's are a bad idea to be wearing in a healing piercings, not only do they flap about causing irritation they drag lymph into the piercing damaging the newly formed fistula (the skin that lines the piercing) they also put excess pressure on the piercing forcing it to curve.
    I take my nipple rings out once a week or so.. Just to give them a bit of a better clean than patting it with a cotton bud with salty water.. I didnt think it would be a problem as they are only out for a couple of minutes..

Hm, well the only reason I have the BCR's in is cause they are what I was pierced with, my piercer has been around for a very long time so.. I kinda figured he knows what hes doing.. But ok I'll get my hands on barbells soon..

The thing I dont understand is that this sweeling was so random and.. unexpected, what could possibly have caused this?

Thanks

Loafer

Yes it was kind of, whitey yellow kind of puss, the slightest bit red.. maybe a drop of blood.. Sorry I didn't smell it or anything, was a bit more worried about it actually being there ya know..

I take my nipple rings out once a week or so.. Just to give them a bit of a better clean than patting it with a cotton bud with salty water.. I didnt think it would be a problem as they are only out for a couple of minutes..

Hm, well the only reason I have the BCR's in is cause they are what I was pierced with, my piercer has been around for a very long time so.. I kinda figured he knows what hes doing.. But ok I'll get my hands on barbells soon..

The thing I dont understand is that this sweeling was so random and.. unexpected, what could possibly have caused this?

Thanks

Loafer
    its not the amount of time they are out thats the issue, its the irritation and the damage you do the the newly formed fistula inserting and removing the jewellery. Soak your niples in hot sea salt solution twice a day without removing the jewellery, the heat will draw out any crud from inside.

About your piercer, time in industry doesnt = knowledge, he should have known that BCR's arent good of initial jewllery.

the swelling is probly caused by the jewellery being ill fitting, irritation or a bump. Its a nipple piercing, like i said they take a year or more to heal, and even after that they will still randomly flare up.

Oh.. oh ok, well in that case then I'll order some Conebells.. I always liked the look off them.. Would a pair of the "Surgical Steel Barbells - Conebell" be suitable? I presume they are.. Just.. Make suring.. I can't post a link off them but, not hard to find..

I never thought the tissue could be damaged so easily.. Trust me if I did I'd have got it pierced with a barbell instead off a BCR, I was actually given the choice of a barbell or BCR at the time, only reason I choose a BCR was cause I thought they looked better.. Didnt think of the healing process or anything..

Well as long as its nothing.. major or serious.. or its not infected.. I'm happy. So should I just keep the BCR in until I get the barbell? It could be a week or so before these barbells arive if I am to order them tonight..

Loafer

Oh.. oh ok, well in that case then I'll order some Conebells.. I always liked the look off them.. Would a pair of the "Surgical Steel Barbells - Conebell" be suitable? I presume they are.. Just.. Make suring.. I can't post a link off them but, not hard to find..

I never thought the tissue could be damaged so easily.. Trust me if I did I'd have got it pierced with a barbell instead off a BCR, I was actually given the choice of a barbell or BCR at the time, only reason I choose a BCR was cause I thought they looked better.. Didnt think of the healing process or anything..

Well as long as its nothing.. major or serious.. or its not infected.. I'm happy. So should I just keep the BCR in until I get the barbell? It could be a week or so before these barbells arive if I am to order them tonight..

Loafer
    yes, and you shoulnt use a steel barbell until fully healed btw, titanium or pfte only!

Some people find they have a reaction to surgical steel. You might be better off ordering a set of titanium barbells just to be on the safe side.

I agree with everything that has been said. BCRs are a no-no for healing piercings.

You'll need to keep them in until your jewellery arrives. Ideally you need to get your new jewellery autoclaved because your piercings aren't healed and they won't be sterile... Alternatively, just get your piercer to change them for something they have pre-sterilised.

Ok well thanks very much for the advice Arc

I'll got some titanium barbells ordered tonight and get them in ASAP, I think the sweeling has actually started to go down a little, its deffinitly not as hard as earlier, but it's still quite obvious.

But thats ok, cheers.

Loafer

I find mine flares up every now and again so its usually not anything to worry about, infact im halfway through a flare up as we speak. Same sort of situation, it occurs usually when they are irritated. Its the most tempremental piercing i have ever come across if im honest.

Just try and stick with it, the last thing you wanna have to do is lose it and have it re-pierced, trust me iv been there, if you think it hurt the first time, oh boy your in for a shock!

As far as the bar not going in goes, what you need to do is let the swelling go down, but keep the holes open. Now when i say this, i am completely going off the record as i know i will get flamed to high hell but.....here goes........get a small size guitar string (A BRAND NEW b or an e string) and boil it in water for ten mins. And try sticking that in there. Whats happened is when you took the ring out you collapsed the structure of the nipple, to use an analogy, imagine if you took the scaffolding of a house down before you had any interneal supporting walls, it would fall down (probably) you need to keep that structure so when the swelling goes you can stick your bcr back in.

I only say guitar string as its flexible metal but not perfect, again, i await a flame off for this but this is what i did, and it worked.

Tobz
    Piercings:

Right Nostril 1.2mm-4mm diameter (nice and snug)
    Tragus Left Ear
    Left conch
    Double Helix
    Nipple is back!
    Left lobe stretched to 14mm

Tattoos:
    Big mo' fuckin black cross on my back
    WANTED: Iron man tattoo on right calf (the triathlon, not superhero)-provided i finish the god dam race that is!

If he is going to go the trouble of getting a guitar string, why not just go the whole hog and get a ptfe stem or a real barbell the right length. Also he can still get the BCR in, just not the barbell as its not long enough, which means that he needs a longer barbell in there form now on, for quite long time till it settles.

A guitar string is as you already know a terrible idea so i wont bother going on about it but one thing, if he uses a thin one then he will have to stretch the nipple back up to size when he gets a barbell which will cause nothing but trouble, if he uses a thicker one than you recomended the windings will tear the fistula to bits much like it tears newby players fingers to bits.
    Last edited by TheArctopus; 04-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast