Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you get your tragus re-pierced after its closed up???

Bonjourno,
    I had my tragus pierced for over 6 months but recently a bump has appeared (which i now know its called keloid) after i keep snagging, it bumping it and pulling it (ouch) . Anyways went to my GP and he gave me some cream to put on it.. took my bar out to clean it properly, at the end of the day realised that I had lost the ball (v. annoying) so took it out as I was worried it would fall in my ear. It's been out for about 4 days now and I'm guessing it closing up pretty rapidly as I tried to put in a standard stud to stop it closing up until I bought a new ball but it hurt too much so I gave up. Anyways the point of this is, would it be possible to get it re-pierced/or pushed through at the same place after a few weeks when I've treated the keloid??? I don't care about the pain factor, I just don't want to pay another 30 or get it done in the other ear???? I just don't want it to f*ck up my ear too much??
    Thanks!!

I think it really depends on your ear and how much scar tissue you have. When I got mine done it was hard enough without any scar tissue and my piercer said that if I took it out I'd never be able to get it done again. I also had a friend that had hers done but it looked slighly crooked so she took it out thinking she could just get it done again and sadly could not. Based on those two experiences I'd say no, but I can't see your ear nor am I a professional. I'd say go to a piercing parlour and ask them! Sorry and good luck
    Right ear
    Have: 4 lobe, snug, and conch
    Want: Vertical tragus and some form of an orbital
    Left ear
    Have: Tragus, industrial, and 7 lobe/cartilage
    Want: Possibly rook, possibly could be finished.
    Other
    Have: Monroe, navel, nostril
    Want: Possibly a double navel, possibly could be finished.

First off, it's not a keloid, it's called 'the bump', and it's scarring from irritation or other factors. It's incredibly common, I've had it on most of my piercings at some point.

I had my tragus re-pierced six weeks after removing it. By that time, the bump had gone, and I was left with a little scar tissue. It just hurt a little more to pierce through it.
    Face: Labret, medusa, septum, double nostrils, bridge.
    Ears: 8 lobes, 2 auricles, conch, tragus, 2 helixes, daith.
    Body: Nipples.

I am Katie. I like earl grey tea, marshmallows in hot chocolate, poetry and Care Bears.

disco-lemonade@live.com
    ^ add me please

As foostar says sounds like your doctor jumped to conclusions. Keloiding doesn't go away so easily - it takes steroids or surgery. Hypertrophic scarring or 'the bump' is very similar but caused by irritation and goes away when the irritation is removed and with the help of chamomile tea

Also just for future reference unless you have an infection and have been prescribed cream for the piercing by the doctor don't put cream on a piercing. Doctors generally know very little about piercings and creams form a seal meaning the piercing cant get oxygen and bacteria has a nice moist place to start to breed.

As for getting it redone cartilage is nice and thick so scar tissue doesn't effect it too much ! I suggest using tea tree oil neat (do a skin test first) on the bump to help get rid of it now and when its down it should be fine to get repierced!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

I had my tragus pierced, at 1.6mm, then for some wierd reason had to take it out and ive recently got it re-pierced, at 1.2mm (dont know why the difference but hey) it all depends on your body everyone's different.

I had always heard that a piercing could not be pierced through scar tissue which had formed due to taking a piercing out for a time. Interesting to hear it can be! You learn something every day dont you

Alrightio..yeah don't actually think its a keloid and stopped using the cream and its got much much better... oh doctors. Thanks for the advice, im just going to find out tomorrow if i can.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_price View Post
    I had always heard that a piercing could not be pierced through scar tissue which had formed due to taking a piercing out for a time. Interesting to hear it can be! You learn something every day dont you
    Some piercings its not recommended to pierce through deep scar tissue due to the increased chance of rejection (As the skin is less elastic than normal tissue and so weaker)- normally this applies to things like navel and eyebrow piercings as they're surface piercings (And so prone to rejection anyway) but cartilage piercings are nice and sturdy so weaker tissue doesn't effect them!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Yaay... went to two piercing studios, one said that I had to wait 6 weeks and let it heal up and the second one were like yeah i'll just push it through for you..so my bar is back in..silly ball. And on the plus side the bump has dissapeared aswell. Woo!

P.S. I want to change my bar that I got pierced with as it's too long and sticks out, around what gauge size should I go for????????? (I was thinking 7mm but I don't know if that would also stick out..)

gandy

the gauge is the thickness of it, you want leanth

and its best to get mesured up at your local studio, easyest way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast