Default What does a rejecting navel piercing look like?

So I had my navel pierced in March... I think it's coming on for 4 months old now. It's been crap ever since I had it done - the week after, a lump developed on the top hole and hasn't properly gone away since. The bar is, in my unprofessional opinion, way too long for the piercing, there is always about 4mm sticking out at the top, and I think that is what is causing the problems. No piercer will change it for me though, because of the lump - apparently changing it will make it worse.

I kind of feel like it might be rejecting (maybe migrating) but I don't know what that would look like. From the top/outside, it looks normal (apart from the scabby lump), but on the inside of my navel, there's a bit of a pink scar about half a centimetre long, so it looks as if it might have moved to a shallower position.

I don't really know what to do for the best, right now. It's going to be tricky getting to a piercer, because right now I have no job and almost no money - although if you think it's essential, I guess I'll suck it up and go. Should I leave it and see if it gets any worse? Or should I just cut my losses and take it out? I don't really think I'd be that sorry to see it go, because it has never looked nice, but on the other hand, it's been such a pain I want to persist and make it better.

What do you guys think?

What did you have it pierced at? The bar might be too long because they do move a bit. So if it was pierced at 12mm it might settle at about 8mm-10mm. All I know about rejection is both holes are red and more of the bar becomes visible.
    Becca
    myspace

I don't know how long the bar is... looks like about 12mm, and there is 3-4mm of the top of the bar showing most of the time.

It's hard to tell how much it has moved, because I look at it everyday, so I don't know if I'd notice a gradual movement. Even when I first had it done, the top of the bar was sticking out quite a bit, but I don't know if it was less than it is now.

Sorry, another question.

What do I do if I decide to take it out? Do I need to carry on cleaning, and if so, how? Or do I just leave it alone?