At Reading Uni, if not there - home in Middx !

Default How long should tongue swelling last ?

I got my tongue pierced just over 2 weeks ago now, and my tongue is still so swollen.

Yea, it was a lot worse originally - ie I couldnt speak or chew too good, :shock: but now I can speak fine, and chewing is a lot better (although I'm so careful not to bite the bar lol) yet my tongue is still swollen to the length of the massive piercing bar ! However, its not that sore - only when I yawn etc, and sometimes my gland hurts by my neck after I've been swallowing/chewing a lot - which the guy said woudl be normal at first (feeling like you have glandular fever or your glands are swollen rather than the actual tongue being sore)
    The piercer said it usually starts to go down within 4 days of the piercing, but here I am, 16 days later !! :cry:

I'm absolutely paranoid of gettin a keloid too - I'm just worried as I'm a bit of a worrier in GENERAL. LOL :P :oops:
    I'm meant to be going back this coming friday - 3 weeks after, to get my bar downsized. I have a bad feeling my tongue will still be swollen by then..... :?

...how long should it last ? Or how long did yours take until it returned to 'normal' ?

you poor thing !! my tongue swelling lasted about 4 days. i think you must just be unlucky. i had a smaller bar after just a week and a smaller one still 2 weeks later.
    stick with it, it's worth it !

I hope so !
    Its just so annoying, as people want to see what it looks like now, and it still looks just as bad as it did when I got it done !! lol
    Have managed to take a crappy pic just now - u can just see the bottom barbell at the bottom :

As u can prob see - its swelling even MORE just infont of the bar at the top which is a bit odd....

Advice and calming words much appreciated lol !

Hmmm, have you taken any asprin to try and reduce teh swelling?
    Also, try a cup of warm water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and soak the piercing for like 10 mins. Helps healing and stuff.

Ah yes, the sea salt - I've done that each day - as I wake up, and before I go to bed - then I rinse with just water after food. I've followed the aftercare to a TEE. Thats what fustrates me !! :cry: :cry:

I've had ibuprofen which I was told was the best - but again, found it didn't really do too much !

Note : I've had no alcohol, no kissing/oral sex (my boyfriend is GAGGING after 2 weeks LOL), no spicy foods, no strong mouthwashes, I dont play/fiddle with it etc etc......

Well....now only 4 days to go until I should have my bar downsized....don't think its gonna happen :cry: :cry: :cry: I was really looking forward to getting it changed too. :(
    Need more advice if anyone has any ! Thank u ! x