Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Swollen Cartilage Piercing!

I just got the lower bit of my cartilage pierced (is there a special name for that part I got it pierced? LOL just curious...!) just last Wednesday @ Punktured Piercing Studio, Brighton. I got it done professionally with a needle - a 14 gauge barbell right through my lower cartilage.

Today, it was a bit sore and I looked in the mirror to find that it was swollen! So I went back to the shop and I consulted one of the staff there, and he examined my ear carefully and told me that its not infected. He said its swollen because all cartilage piercings will get swollen, and that the piercing is settling in and that my cartilage piercing is healing really well so theres nothing to worry about!

Is this true? Cos it's freaking me out if its going to be infected! Is this typical? (Cos I've got my upper cartilage pierced a few months ago by the gun and I got that badly infected so its freaking me out... I don't want to go through all that pain, its hell!)

I took a few pics (sorry about the blurriness because I took it myself and its really hard to adjust the focus!)

Thanks for all the time to read this - its hugely appreciated

Taking Ibuprofen and doing cold compresses should help with the swelling. Cartilage (and that placement in particular, for some reason) does tend to swell a far bit for most people. Unless it's very sore, hot to touch, throbbing, has yellow/green discharge, etc then don't assume that it's infected

Yep... cartilage swells. I'm just waiting for mine to start.

Do what Kate said ^^^ and you should be fine. Make sure you arent always touching it also... only touch to clean, and move the jewellery as little as possible to avoid irritating it.
    My life of piracy was so profitable that I can retire and spend my days eating fruit.
    Wearing a navy blue duffle style straight jacket with big toggle fasteners and made of 100% new wool.
    Carrots are the banana of the vegetable world.

dont worry thats perfectly normal i should know i've had 6 so far lol (1 retired).

but yup cold compress and ibuprofen will help and avoid touching it and hitting it by accident and dont sleep on it
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

sounds totally normal to me,

However, if you were pierced with a short barbell and it starts becoming too tight on the swelling ear, then you should probably see your piercer and get it changed to something longer.
    -left ear conch, 14
    -left lobe, 14
    -lips tattoo on left hip

wanted:
    lots.

iam: sleazepleeze

Quote Originally Posted by sleazepleeze View Post
    sounds totally normal to me,

However, if you were pierced with a short barbell and it starts becoming too tight on the swelling ear, then you should probably see your piercer and get it changed to something longer.
    I got a thick barbell from the shop which measures 1.6mm by 8mm. I assume that's pretty long? Or is it not?

To everyone: Also, I have long hair. If I let my hair down, would there be a higher chance/risk of getting it infected? Cos I've heard that you should just tie your hair up because hair has lots of oils/bacteria and if its always touching the piercing it could be dirty and have a chance of getting the piercing infected.

Also, how long will it take for the cartilage piercing to heal? When would I be able to take the barbell out?

One last word: Is this cartilage piercing that I got called an 'Auricle' piercing?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by kikistarz; 12-12-2007 at 01:29 AM.

I have mine pierced in exactly the same place, and experienced a little swelling too, so it's fine.

The 8mm barbell is a good size to downsize to, as usually they are pierced with 10mm or 12mm's.

About the hair thing, I have long hair and mine covers my helix/auricle(I call it a low helix, others call it an auricle) and it has been fine, just keep your hair clean, and be careful when washing it not to get soap suds into it.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Cartilage piercings tend to take rather a long while to heal in my experience since they are quite prone to being knocked (purely accidentally etc) so they can produce 'crusties' for a good few months, plus it all depends on the person. I'd say bare minimum is going to be around 12 weeks but much more likely to be around 6 months.
    Piercings:

Left Ear: 15mm Lobe (Scalpelled @ 12mm) 2xCartellidge @ 1.6mm, Conch @ 3.2mm

Right Ear: 1" Lobe, 4mm dermal punched inner conch

Body:
    PA 4mm

Would like: More dermal punching, lobe scalpelling, more conch stretching and some more genital work perhaps?

Facebook
    DnB Project Myspace

NetherSpirit

Quote Originally Posted by xstartofadisaster View Post
    To everyone: Also, I have long hair. If I let my hair down, would there be a higher chance/risk of getting it infected? Cos I've heard that you should just tie your hair up because hair has lots of oils/bacteria and if its always touching the piercing it could be dirty and have a chance of getting the piercing infected.
    My hair's really long and in all honesty I find the best thing is just to keep my hair clean and brushed! Try to avoid it getting greasy and avoid knots near the piercing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast