Question Permanent Removal of Tongue Piercing

Hi all! I've searched the internet tirelessly looking for any information I can find on permanently removing my tongue piercing to no avail.

I've had the piercing since 1999 and have decided to remove it. I've noticed some speech problems developing with certain sounds, the barbell drives me crazy most days and I'm a mom now.

Does anyone have information on what precautions should be taken? More specifically, how long does it take for the hole to close over? How do you make sure nothing gets stuck in the hole while it is closing? Should I rinse my mouth with a certain mouthwash? Etc., etc. Basically, I'm looking for as much information as I can find out before I remove it.

Someone please have the information I'm looking for!!! I've searched everywhere in every possible way I can think of!!!

well it shouldnt take it long to close up as tongues tend to be fast healers anyway so food shouldnt get stuck in there either i wouldnt think.
    non-alcoholic mouthwash is usually best but you shouldnt have to use it a lot
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

You can just take the bar out and it will close in no time, you shouldn't need to do anything special with it. You'll probably notice that you can't talk properly for a day or so but that's just your body getting used to talking without the jewellery again.
    DISCLAIMER: Any advice given is from PERSONAL experience unless stated otherwise, and should not be seen as encouragement to perform any acts of stupidity.

Past - 6 in each earlobe, double helixes, lip, double tongue, both nipples, 2x navel, eyebrow, cheek, tragus

Present - 2x earlobe, rook, 3x VCH, 2.4mm tongue, daith, nose, conch

Proud owner of a lilac velvet corset with dark purple lace edging and black laces up the back, made by Pagan Debbie

Just to go against what has already been said, a friend of mine removed hers years ago and it still hasn't closed up, she goes through phases of wearing it again. But I have to stress this is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery rare!

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBecca View Post
    But I have to stress this is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery rare!
    Just that! It is very uncommon for a tongue piercing not to be healed over in less than 24 hours, they're funny like that.

Just take it out, leave it out, and *ta dah* sorted.
    Tongues are very fast healers.
    I'm done, I'm gone. There is nothing here for me anymore.

would it heal over though if shes had it since 1999? use tcp diluted to rinse your mouth if your worried when you decided to retire itxxxxx
    Suze
    P
    ierced n Tattooed

Most of the time tongue piercings heal very quickly, my friend had hers done but it was off a little so she took it out and had it done again the next day, they normally close within 24 hrs.

However another person I know took hers out a couple of years ago and she can still put her bar in...

I think that's quite uncommon though.

my girlfriend's took quite awhile to heal, she had it for 2 or 3 years i think
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

Just take it out if you dont want it, I wouldnt worry about anything. Thats what i did and no problems here. And i guess i am one of those weird cases bc i just pushed it back in with little effort after a year and a half of not having it in.
    Current Piercings:
    - Both nipples
    - Tongue
    - Frenum

Retired Piercing:
    - Prince Albert